Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Thundering and Lightninging


When it rains in Los Angeles, it flushes away all of the smog, the exhaust, and the nastiness. The city becomes so beautiful when it rains, and the day after is by far the best day to go on a hike!

Today marks my one-week anniversary in the city, and it has already rained twice. Luckily they have both been overnight, but it's supposed to rain again today and possibly tomorrow. Aside from getting used to the summer rains (I still don't quite understand why it's hot and raining outside, but I'm just going with the flow here), the rain seems to flush away all of the negatives of the city and leaves me with a fresh outlook on what I'm doing out here (let's just wait until it rains during the day and I slip on my way down to the subway. That will be a different story. But again...rolling with the punches).

The first time it rained was after the climax of our frustrations looking for 3 bedrooms. The lightning flashes and loud, dramatic thunderclaps echoed through the streets and between the high rises, and it seemed to reflect my mood of the city and our apartment hunt perfectly. But the next day we had the huge revelation that our priorities weren't in check, and we went off in search of 2 bedrooms.

Last night there was another thunderstorm, albeit not as long and loud as the first. But last night also marked the end of my apartment hunt (which Sean, Tina and I celebrated with happy hour at The Dead Poet's and dinner afterwards), and it felt like the rain was cleansing the city of all my frustrations with pounding the pavement and dealing with caneiving brokers who don't speak english who are only after my checkbook. I can't wait to see what the city has in store for me, but I also hope I don't need another thunderstorm to was away my frustrations!

0 comments: